Prison life I'm feeling Lucky Ohio Reformatory for Women Marysville Serial Killer female inmates Canada, Montreal Canada, Toronto Segregated Housing Unit Warden Dorothy Arn Mrs. Turley Women in prison OZ

Thursday 8 May 2014

Week Six, Episode 12 - FACTS, COMMENTARY, RECAP

Week Six, Episode 12
FACTS, COMMENTARY, RECAP
     What a week?  I always receive so many blessings daily in this storm, and this week
was no different.  President Obama published a survey and new rules on clemency/
commutation of sentences. The survey was on our computer, and of course I applied.
This system is broken, and the President and Eric Holder understands this.  Will
I be sitting at the table with my children and grandchildren, and the rest of my family
this holiday?  It is always a possibility.  See, the thing is, you never know what God
has in store for you, so therefore how I spend my days is by being right with the people
around me, remaining positive, and busy, and capturing everything that comes my way-
I don't know what is for me or not. 
     Mother's Day is a very big week in prisons throughout the country, and it is no
different in Danbury.  Most of the population are Mothers and Grandmothers.  There is
usually a big meal, a special dessert, and even a movie played just for mothers here.
Where are the children and grandchildren, and how are they?  That's the question.
Because Mothers/Grandmothers are in here on this day, who is doing Mother's Day dinner
for 200 families/many children and grandchildren?  That is what the feds never considered.
There is a serious domino effect to having a parent or grandparent if that is your support
system, being locked up.  The New York Times posted statistics recently that said children
with at least one parent in prison is 6 times more likely to end up in prison themselves.
The same article talked about how each America that is paying FICA/federal taxes pays
about $260 a year in taxes to keep the $80 Billion dollar prison farce going.  This is not
about community safety, and it surely is not about rehabilitation.  If you do not have the
drive to rehabilitate yourself, then Hip-Hop Atlanta, Housewives, Scandal, and several
other shows become your world of reality in here.  I don't blame the women that escape
the pain of missing their children by pouring hours into the big screen televisions we have
here.  I feel their pain, and everyone deals with it differently. 
    It is just that because 25% of all Americans are convicted felons and America is
definitely a prison Country, I would like for it to do better- we are supposed to be so much
better, especially on Mother's Day.
My Mom is gone- Fellas, if your Mom is living, give her a hug today. 
     For you mothers out there, Happy Mother's Day, and I would like to serenade you-
    "Be glad that you are free, cause many a man whose not, be glad that what you had
ain't what you got."  That is Prince/Roger Nelson/The Artist, or whatever his name is-
I loose track, but this Sunday, cherish your freedom and time with your children/grandchildren,
cause thousands of women are in prison, missing their children, and mothering on the
telephone.
 Rhonda Turpin
May 7, 2014
Danbury Prison Camp
author, publisher, prisoner
fb/rhondaturpin
worldbookspublishing@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment