Prison life I'm feeling Lucky Ohio Reformatory for Women Marysville Serial Killer female inmates Canada, Montreal Canada, Toronto Segregated Housing Unit Warden Dorothy Arn Mrs. Turley Women in prison OZ

Thursday 31 July 2014

SERIES II WEEK 3, Episode 5 : AMERICA's CIVILIZED PRISON SYSTEM



       Throughout the last ten years of being housed all over the country, I have
heard all of the 3rd world tales of prison life from foreigners.  Still, Is America
really civilized? 
        I did a count today.  Nine big screen TVs in the building; 2 microwaves, and
state of the art gym equipment.  New spinners.  A new elliptical, more to come. 
In the federal prison system, the items I named above are purchased from the
Inmate Trust Fund.  Part of the proceeds from the canteen profits are used to
benefit us.  We do not have any say-so in what is purchased, but everyone in the
building benefits.  How civilized.  A roommate I had from Honduras told me that
there is no televisions, workout equipment, or computers (I am writing this blog
from a federal prison email, by the way). There is no beds, clothing exchange, or
running hot water in Honduras prisons either.  Many luxuries such as a balanced
diet, fruit and salad with the meals, and chicken on the bone at least once a
week is unheard of in most countries.  The flip side is that other countries do not
have a government that creates broad laws to capture even 65 and over populations
for cashing their dead husbands social security checks.  "I needed it to pay my
house note, so that I wouldn't be a burden to my children."  A 68 year old grand-
mother recently told me before she was released, after serving eight months. 
For some women, the living conditions here are better than home.  Still, its
wrong for a government to incarcerate by the masses for 100s of petty crimes.
We have been getting an influx of Asian women.  A few of the women sold
fake, knockoff purses or wallets.  They were sent to federal prison.  It is a
federal crime because the designers copyright and trademark their merchandise.
Is prison really necessary for these petty crimes? 
If you ask a federal prosecutor, they will say, 'absolutely'. 
What would I be doing if I were home today?  First, lets talk about what I would
NOT be doing.  I do not drink out of plastic cups in my house.  I drink out of glass.
I also would not be using recycled plastic silverware.  Plastic is not healthy.  How
many times can you wash out a plastic commissary bowl, that you also cook in,
that is not microwaveable?  I can answer that- hundreds of times. 
If I were home, I would be sitting in front of a computer or laptop, putting work
in or a grant, or job creation, or writing a book, or marketing.  I would be talking
to my grandkids.  I would serve dinner on real plates, with stainless steel silverware,
and we would drink something out of a glass.  Ice would come out of the freezer,
and not a luxurious federal icemaker. 
      I would also be on the phone or waiting on a phone call from the love of my
life if he was not sitting right next to me. 
   Well, the thing is, I am not at home.  I am stuck in federal prison, surrounded by
small luxuries, financed by our families (canteen is very expensive, and most of
the profit comes from money sent from the streets).  I am about to go and listen
to my MP3 (another federal luxury), and research case law to get the hell out of here
(another luxury, the feds pay a minimum of $3000 a month for lexis nexus online
law library), then crawl under my freshly laundered white sheets because the laundry
washes our clothing three times a week- read a book until I get sleepy, using my
modern, florescent night light, and dream of home that may be sometimes
uncivilized by federal standards. 

Rhonda Turpin
author, publisher, prisoner

No comments:

Post a Comment